ST THERESE OF LISIEUX; FEAST DAY 3rd OCTOBER

 ST THERESE OF LISIEUX; FEAST DAY 3rd OCTOBER



St Therese of Lisieux is one of the most popular saints in the history of the Church. The prayer to her repeats the description of Pope Pius X of her as, “the greatest saint of modern times.”
She was born in 1873 to Marie-Azeli Guerin, (Zelie), and Louis Martin. Both parents were devout Catholics who were canonized by Pope Francis in 2015. All five of their surviving daughters became nuns, including Celine, Therese’s sister.
When Therese was 4 years old, her mother died of breast cancer, a terrible blow to a small child. She said that “the first part of my life stopped that day.” She wrote:
“The touching ceremony of Extreme Unction made a deep impression on me. I can see the spot where I knelt, and hear my poor Father’s sobs. The day after Mamma’s death, he took me in his arms, saying: “Come child, kiss your dear Mother for the last time!” and without a word I put my lips to her icy forehead.”
After her mother’s death, and for the following ten years, she experienced a bleak, hard period of her life, most likely grieving for the loss of her mother’s presence throughout her childhood. She described it thus:
“Immediately after Mamma’s death my naturally happy disposition deserted me. You know, dear Mother, how from being lively and demonstrative, I became timid and shy, and so sensitive that a look was often sufficient to make me burst into tears. I could not bear to be noticed, or to meet strangers, and I was only at ease with my dear ones at home. There I was always cherished with the most loving care. Papa’s affectionate heart seemed endowed with a mother’s love, while you and Marie were no less tender and devoted. If Our Lord had not lavished His sunshine upon His Little Flower, she never could have become acclimatized to this earth. Still too weak to bear either rain or storm, she needed warmth, refreshing dew and gentle breezes-gifts never denied to her, even in the wintry season of trials.”
She was sent to school at the age of eight where she was bullied by an older girl. She suffered throughout her childhood as a result of her sensitivity, resorting to the love of her family to support her. However, she underwent an awakening after nine years where she said that she recovered the strength in her soul that had been lost at her mother’s death. She discovered the joy of focusing on others and recognized that charity had entered into her heart.
Celine, her sister, and Therese became very close - “the most intimate sharer of my thoughts. Our Lord, wishing us to advance in virtue together, drew us to each other by ties stronger than blood. He made us sisters in spirit as well as in the flesh, and in us were realized the words of the holy father, St John of the Cross:
Treading in Thy footsteps
Young maidens lightly run upon the way.
From the spark’s contact,
And the spiced wine,
They give forth aspirations of a balm divine.
Truly it was with light hearts that we followed in the footsteps of Jesus. The burning sparks which He cast into our souls, the strong wine which he gave us to drink, made us blind to all earthly things, and from our lips broke forth aspirations all fragrant with love.”
She made her religious profession in 1890, aged 17 and a half. The eve before her profession she suffered from ‘absolute aridity’ . Reassured by the Novice Mistress and Mother, Marie de Gonzague, she underwent her religious profession, stating that, “an outpouring of peace flooded my soul, ‘that peace which surpasseth all understanding’”, (Phil 4:7).
She died in 1897, at the age of 24, from tuberculosis. Her book, “The Story of a Soul”, which sets out her spiritual story, has become the most popular Catholic book of the last hundred and fifty years.
Thérèse wrote prayers to express her devotion to the Holy Face of Our Lord, in His Passion, describing God the Father, in considering the Holy Face of Jesus:
“He sees it disfigured, covered with blood! ..and yet the divine Child does not tremble; this is what He chooses to show His love.”
In her Canticle to the Holy Face, she wrote:
"Jesus, Your image is the star which guides my steps. Your sweet Face is for me Heaven on earth. My love discovers the charms of Your Face adorned with tears. I smile through my own tears when I contemplate Your sorrows."
Her prayer for the pardon of all sinners, by the Holy face of Jesus:
"Eternal Father, since Thou hast given me for my inheritance the adorable Face of Thy Divine Son, I offer that face to Thee and I beg Thee, in exchange for this coin of infinite value, to forget the ingratitude of souls dedicated to Thee and to pardon all poor sinners."
In contemplating the Holy Face of Jesus in His Sacrifice, she was aware that she was incapable of great acts of sacrifice and heroism, writing,
“Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to prove my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word and the doing of the least actions for love.
Sometimes, when I read spiritual treatises in which perfection is shown with a thousand obstacles, surrounded by a cloud of illusions, my poor little mind quickly tires. I close the learned book which is breaking my head and drying up my heart, and I take up the Holy Scripture. Then all seems luminous to me; a single word uncovers for my soul infinite horizons; perfection seems simple; I see that it is enough to recognize one’s nothingness and to abandon oneself, like a child, into God’s arms. Leaving to great souls, to great minds, the beautiful books I cannot understand, I rejoice to be little because only children, and those who are like them, will be admitted to the heavenly banquet.”
Her spiritual wisdom, in its simplicity, has directed many millions of souls in their quest for sanctity. Her renown as a miracle worker is well proved - below is set out the Novena Prayer for her intercession.
NOVENA PRAYER
O Little Therese of the Child Jesus, please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens and send it to me as a message of love.
O Little Flower of Jesus, ask God today to grant the favours I now place with confidence in your hands…
(mention specific requests)
St Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God’s great love for me, so that I might imitate your “Little Way” each day. Amen.
“The Story of a Soul, the Autobiography of St Therese of Lisieux”, Baronius Press, (2015).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHAKESPEARE’S COUSIN, ROBERT SOUTHWELL; ONE OF THE FORTY MARTYRS 25th OCTOBER

SISTER MIRIAM MICHAEL STIMSON OP - CATHOLIC SCIENTISTS; DIED 15th JUNE 2002

FEAST OF ST AGNES 21st JANUARY; ST AGNES COOKIES - AGNESENPLATZCHEN